Friday, October 29, 2010

The Reality of I-1100 and 1-1105 and Four Lokos

Basic facts; "I-1100 privatizes the sale and distribution of liquor and eliminates the state’s “three tier” system of control, which segregates manufacturing, distribution and sales".

"I-1105 also privatizes the sale of liquor in the state of Washington. Rather than eliminating the distribution “tier” of the state’s control system as I-1100 does, I-1105 requires that all sales of alcoholic beverages pass through a middleman distributor from the producer to the retailer.

Source: Informed Voter Guide from Evergreen Freedom Foundation.

I'm not writing for or against Initiatives I-1100 and I-1105. In light of the Four Lokos party that happen at Central Washington University the topic of alcohol and minors acquiring it has been all over the news. It has been on the radio, in the paper, and on facebook. Every where I look I hear the same basic ideas, "If we privatizes the sale of liquor things like this will get worse!"....However that is very wrong. I have gone to a party school from most of my college experience. From my experience 90% of all alcohol supplied to minors comes from friends or family. So changing the location of distribution will not increase the number of minors drinking. If you have a State Run Liquor store next door to Safeway how is it any different from having Liquor available in Safeway? If someone is buying liquor for the minors how is changing the location going to change that fact? I get tired of people that are promoting for or against these initiatives using  stories such as the party at Central to "prove" how horrible the privatizing the system would be. Lets stop kidding ourselves the rate of minors drinking is not going to sky rocket anymore then obesity did when Safeway started to sell fried chicken. Lets have a real discussion, what will the initiatives do for our economy?

1 comment:

  1. "Washington state is banning alcoholic energy drinks.The state Liquor Control Board adopted that rule Wednesday morning. It takes effect Nov. 18.The ban comes after nine Central Washington University students were hospitalized after a party last month." The Columbian.

    ReplyDelete